Wednesday 8 April 2015

MR AND MRS



“Bankole I know how much you love your mother, I love my mum no less but…”

“But what Ada? I wonder where all this is coming from” Bankole interjected looking at his wife in dismay.

“Baby listen to me, I know how unbelievable it sounds, but your mother doesn’t like me. She has never hidden that fact from me. She is nice to me in your presence, but the moment your back is turned, she turns into an entirely different person.” Ada told her husband.




“Do you know the meaning of what you are saying? Ada I am very disappointed in you. We had this talk when we courted, and promised to love our parents equally, and treat them right. Now imagine what you are accusing my mother of. My mum that calls you all the time, sends us food stuffs and generally treats you like the daughter she never had. I thought you loved her, but I now know better” Kole said

“I am surprised you are saying this. Of course I love your mother, but she doesn’t even like me. You have no idea what I go through when I am alone with her” Ada replied, looking very sad

“Well I have nothing more to say to you. My mother is arriving next week, whether you like it or not” with that, Kole stood up and left the bedroom.

Ada lay on the bed, and tears rolled down her eyes. She had been dreading having this talk with Kole, but after what she went through the last time his mother was around, she couldn’t keep silent anymore.
 She didn’t think she had it in her to endure another one of mama’s visits. She knew Kole wouldn’t believe her. He thought his mother was a saint. Who wouldn’t?


Sabina looked at the gloomy face Ada had on. She knew something had to be done concerning Ada’s predicament.
“Look you have to learn how to be tough. My mother in law wanted to try that rubbish with me, but she learnt a few lessons on who is in charge and she took the back seat.”

“Sabina is that what Ada needs to hear now? Lola asked, eyeing Sabina and pulling Ada close.

“I understand what you are going through but I also get Bankole’s position. You know we Yorubas are big on respect and tradition and from all you have said, he has no reason to believe you…”

“Hello! She is his wife. That is enough reason to believe her. That is like not believing himself haba” Sabina cut in

Lola eyed Sabina one more time, and continued “put yourself in his shoes, she is his mother. That means a lot. You don’t need this stress in your condition O, so don’t worry, we would think of something”

“So what we need is for Bankole to believe her, then what?” Sabina asked

“Then Bankole would take care of it, obviously” Lola replied

“In that case, our problem is solved. I have an idea” Sabina said with a smile
“Cheer up jor” she told Ada


Ada opened the door with a smile, as her mother in law walked into the house, closely followed by Bankole and their gateman, carrying bags.
“Mama welcome” Ada said, genuflecting

“Iyawo mi, my beautiful wife. Thank you” mama said with a smile

“I brought you a lot of food and herbs that would make our baby strong and healthy” she continued

“Mama, I have told you, my wife does not need herbs. Her doctor takes good care of her and the baby” Bankole said, coming back into the sitting room.
His mother looked at him and hissed “what do you know about pregnancy ehn Oko mi If this child is anything like you, then she would be needing a lot of herbs” she replied

“Hmm mama I have not forgotten O, Iya Titi always said you needed so much herbs during my pregnancy because you didn’t have any atom of strength in your body” Kole said with a smile
.
“Iya Titi and her wagging tongue, what did she know? Was that not why she was talking even at death? Hahaha my daughter, don’t mind him, please come and take me to my room, the journey was stressful” mama said, pulling Ada towards the door.


Ada had just finished preparing dinner, and she lay on the couch tired. Her phone rang and she picked it up. As she conversed on the phone, mama comes in and watches her from the door, with undisguised disgust.
 “So this is how you spend my son’s money? Always pressing your phone or talking and laughing abi?”

At the sound of her voice, Ada discharged the person on the other end and hung up “Mama good evening” she said, sitting up.

“Ehn ehn ehn… keep your greeting to yourself you small witch. I just asked you a question, answer me” she said moving closer to the couch.

“I didn’t hear your question mama. I’m sorry. Food is ready” Ada said

“I said is this how your squander my son’s money? Every time pim pim pim on that big phone. Anyway I don’t even blame you. I blame myself. I should have insisted that Bankole does not marry you. He left all the good Yoruba girls from wealthy backgrounds, to marry you… you just imagine, Ireti, Funmilayo, Labake, even Morenikeji that I brought for him all the way from Osun.” Mama said spitefully

“Mama, I am very tired, I don’t want any trouble this evening. Please…” Ada was cut off by mama, who came and rubbed her palms on Ada’s mouth.

 “Shut up you silly child. I’m I the one you are calling trouble”
Ada looked at mama, and walked out of the sitting room.


Bankole was watching the screen intently, a football match was on. Then he heard a strange sound, coming from the bedroom. He listened closely, and rushed out of the sitting room. Getting into the master’s bedroom, he rushed into the bathroom where Ada knelt with her head down in the bath tub, puking. He was instantly alarmed.

“Honey, what is it? Are you ok?” he asked, kneeling down beside her. She shook her head, and continued puking. He rushed out to get his phone. Three minutes later, they were on their way to the hospital.



“What do you mean by that?” Bankole asked his wife. She was seated on a chair, and she was feeling much better. They had spent about two hours in the hospital, and had just returned. His mother was seated by his side looking like she was about to cry.

“Bankole, is this what I deserve? How can your wife lie against me, when I am still alive and even present” mama said

Ada looked at mama, and shook her head and said “Kole, your mother forced that disgusting liquid down my throat, when I told her I wasn’t going to drink it. She held my neck, while I was lying on the bed catching me unawares and poured it down my throat almost choking me. I even had to change the sheets”

Mama burst into tears, kneeling down and raising her hands up “Why is this world wicked? What have I done that my enemies want to come between me and my only child? I know she is not saying this thing with her right senses. She has been possessed by my enemies. She came to me, and asked me for the herbs, she said she wanted to taste it, that is why I gave it to her. Ha”

Kole looked at his mother, and tried lifting her from the ground.
“mama it is enough stand up”
“No leave me…. Leave me…. My enemies should take my life instead. This accusation is too much for me….” Mama said wailing even louder.

Ada walked out of the sitting room, leaving Kole looking confused and his mother crying even more loudly.
She returned a minute later, and went to the theatre system. She turned to them and said.
“Kole, I know you wouldn’t believe any of these things, but at least you would believe your own eyes and ears. I didn’t care so much when it was all about me, but no one dares risk my baby, that I would never take” With that, she pressed play and their bedroom came unto the large screen.

Kole watched bewildered as Ada played different scenes, showing his mother abusing her and even hitting her a couple of times. The last scene was that of the mother holding her down and pouring liquid from a bottle into her mouth while she had been asleep. He stood up, and looked at his mother who had stopped crying and now looked shocked and ashamed.

Kole walked to his wife, who was now sobbing and took her into his arms “I am sorry I didn’t believe you…. I am so sorry honey… so sorry” he looked at his mother who had her head bowed.
“Mama what did she ever do wrong to you? This can’t be my mother, first thing tomorrow morning, you are leaving my house”

“I did all this for you….. Why did you decide to marry a stranger? You are my only child, I want the best for you” she said
“Ada is my wife. The woman I love, the only woman I want as a wife. If she is a stranger to you, then you would be a stranger to me. You leave this house tomorrow. You are lucky nothing happened to our baby. Better pray nothing happens even after now if not. Get your things ready, first thing tomorow you are out of here. My wife means the world to me. She is the reason i have to wake up every morning and nothing can change that, not even you…. I am sorry my love…. So sorry” with that, he led Ada into their room.





LIFE IS A CHOICE MY FRIEND
SO CHOOSE WISELY
ENOUGH SAID

21 comments:

  1. What Ada did was very smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wonder why tribe has become an impossible issue in marriage. Most parents have ruined their children's happiness all in this name of "don't marry from this tribe". I understand that the cultural differences and difficulty understanding one another can be a bit of a problem, but parents with their over protective, bothersome and over sentimental ideas just ruin happiness in the process. They get too carried away by wanting "the best' for their children.

      Delete
  2. What Ada did was very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All dese mother inlaws sef....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice write up, Opus. U r blessed with the talent of writing. U could well become a nobel laureate someday. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life n it's challenges. Smart move Ada n she got the right friends too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a happy ending, left me strangely disenchanted. Alas, I am addicted to the macabre and ghastly side of fiction.

      Delete
  6. God give me a Good MIL... It is well

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was really expectin dat smart move. Good one dear. Nice one Opus.

    Pamscrib.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the smartest thing that a daughter-in-law can do to convince a die hard son from a die hard mother-in-law's treats ! Well done Opus, but where is your brother Opuwari now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still waiting eagerly 4 the concluding part of "collupia" hope I got it right. Dat was smart Ada, but pls learn to live with her, do not deprive a mother of her only child.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Akiolu-inspired story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, nice one! Some mothers feel threatened by their son's wives that they go overboard most times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tribe is just a seminal selection of womb, we did not choose where we come from. Non of us had a hand in deciding our ethnicity----we should respect God's choice. She handled her mother-in-law well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Opus r jst 2 gud, had an imaginary pix of d whole scenario

    ReplyDelete
  14. May God keep us away from such a mother-in-law o. Meanwhile, we are hungry for "Kollupia"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some mother-in-laws sef, well done my dear Opus, now waiting for Opuwari of kollupia.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that feeling when bae stands up for u.....

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome......
Spammers on the other hand, would be shot, run over with my car, thrown off a cliff,
hung by their toe nails, and made to watch me do the MAKARINA....... in slow motion.
I'm just saying


would you like to advertise your goods and services on this blog? simply send a mail to opustjk@gmail.com



CONNECT WITH US
Join our bbm channel C004A948B
Facebook page www.facebook.com/opustjkwrites
twitter/instagram @opustjkwrites


For erotica, visit www.sexandcrazy.blogspot.com.ng

Sister Priye 2

"So...uh." I began. His good looks were over powering. "Mr...um..." "Black." He replied. "Richard Bla...