Thursday 26 May 2016

AFTER THE RAIN! #horrorstory

May 21st  2078.
It's been five years since the virus hit. At first many thought it was a lie; another hoax by some crazy political party to destabilise the country. But as the sickness spread, as more people died and became the stuff of nightmares, we realised this wasn't lie. Hordes of the dead scouring through the streets; killing and devouring the flesh of the living.


Law and order disintegrated into madness.


 Streets soaked in blood. This was humanity's last stand, and I was in the vanguard.









......rains.

Its raining again. The worst of the storm is past. Occasional lightening flashes across the heavens. Eerie rumbles.

More flashes.

For hours we were  stuck there. An abandoned factory building on the outskirts of the city

The city.

The phrase lost its meaning when I stared at the broken buildings and blood-soaked walls.


 They are the reminders of the times we live in.

"See anything?" A voice asked. I didn't bother turning around, Joshua had very distinct footfalls.

"More rains, No sign of  Shriekers," I said, toying with the machete handle. I remember thinking how peaceful the day seemed. How normal everything appeared.

"You sound disappointed,"Joshua said.

"We should be getting ready," I said, turning into the door of the large hall. The air inside was stale. Three previously sleeping forms looked up.

"Is everything okay?" Chika asked. Her eyes were red and sleep-deprived. She looked at least half a decade older than her Fifteen years.

"It's all quiet," I said staring at the dirty mattresses and filthy walls of the hall.


Compared to most places, it was a Five Star hotel.

"Are we leaving now?" Priye asked. He was already on his feet, wielding a broken pipe in a ridiculous fighting stance.

"The rain's slowing down," I said. "We should make another go for the bus."

Priye's eyes stared past me. I knew he was looking  through the window at the stationary white vehicle a few yards away.

"Are -- you sure?" He said with a small shudder. My eyes followed his: The bus just stood there with its windshield shattered. I could still see the blood-smears on the side of the door where Kingsley's body had been torn to pieces the night before. I turned away; I hated remembering his screams. There's nothing more frightful than watching your twin brother die; especially like that.

I stifled the shudder. Never let them know you're scared. Kingsley always said. Kingsley was the bravest and smartest of us all. He could handle himself against anyone --- or anything.  But he was torn apart by ---. I decided not to focus on that; panicking never solves anything.

  "We can't stay here," I said, returning to the window.

"I think we should wait a bit-- ---"

"We're doing this now!" I said without looking away. Last thing I needed was Joshua's crap.


 My brother was dead; the one person who meant anything to me in this miserable world.


Kingsley wasn't scared of anything; he went out there knowing fully well he'd be surrounded by --- them. I closed my eyes and tried to silence the screams in my head.

"Kola, please," Chika said. "I'm scared. I don't think we should go --- "

"They're are scared of the rain, too." I said. "That's why we're still alive."

Someone stifled a sneeze.

"So ---?"

"So we make a run for the bus as soon as it stops." I caught Joshua off. I was getting tired of hearing him talk.

Nobody said anything for a long time. We just stared at the drizzle. The occasional thunder rumbled above.

"-- do you think," I heard Chika clear her throat. " --- Kingsley is ---- ?"

"I doubt if there's any of him left to be turned," I said. It was a subject I really didn't need to get into.

" Must be very difficult for you," Joshua said softly. "If he's been turned --- ,"

" --- Then he's just another Shrieker to kill." I turned to face him. My hand tightened on the handle of the machete. It was because of him Kingsley was dead. If he had just backed Kingsley up  ----.

With super-human restraint, I turned away. It was almost time to move.

"Everyone get ready," I said. "Shriekers are wild but not stupid. They'll try to cut off our escape exits -- just make for the bus as fast as you can."

"-- I think we're safer in here."

"Good idea Josh," I shrugged. "You can stay. We're leaving."

"I think Joshua's right," Priye said. "All through the night, they didn't attack --- maybe there's something about this place ----."

"THEY DIDN'T ATTACK BECAUSE THE RAIN HURTS THEM TOO!!" I was past giving a shit anymore. "THEY'LL SWARM THIS PLACE THE INSTANT IT STOPS!"

I was staring at Chika now. Kingsley and I had saved her two weeks earlier. Since then we'd watched over her. I wasn't certain I could protect her without my brother, but I knew leaving her behind was a death sentence. I could tell she was unsure of what to do. Her eyes searched our faces for answers.

"I'm --- scared," she whimpered.

"Me too,"

Then we heard it.

The sound that had plagued the living for half a decade. It was a sound we all knew too well.


 It sent shudders through everyone in the room.

 A Shrieker's wail.

"Jesus ---," Joshua gulped. "--- sounds like just --- one."

"When was the last time you heard of just One Shrieker?" I replied, checking my backpack.

"--- but it's possible that it's  one --- isn't it?" Chika asked.

"No, it's not."

More wails tore through the air, as if to buttress my point. It was impossible to determine the exact direction they were coming from. One thing was certain; there were lots of them out there.

I grabbed Chika's arm.

"No,--- please ---" she cried.
"There's no time for this," I said. "You'll die if you stay here!"

"I'm ----  scared!"

There was a loud blast from the forest just beyond the bus. It sounded like a large tree crashing to the ground.

They were coming.

"I wont ask again, Chika."

Another blast shook the walls of the house.

Tears filled her face and her hand was trembling.

"Don't listen to him, Chika," Joshua's  voice was shaky, as if he doubted what he was saying.

With all the energy I could muster, I pulled her as hard as I could and made for the bus.

"Chika --- !" Someone yelled. I didn't bother checking. She dragged behind me for a few seconds, then she picked up the pace. We ran hard and fast. I heard some more screams coming from the house. But I didn't look.

Then, Something burst through the trees, charging towards us.

"Oh shit! -- oh shit!" Chika panted behind me.

 A woman (or at least it used to be) with the palest skin I'd ever see. A large section of her scalp was dark red from where the hair had been torn off. The clothes  on her emaciated body were in tatters. Like all Shriekers, she moved  with incredible speed, coming at us from the left. There was no way we could make it to the bus in time.

"RUN!!"

I could hear Chika's frantic breathing.

The Shrieker was close.

If I didnt think of something fast, ------. There was only one thing to do. I swiftly changed course, turning towards the Shrieker. I heard Chika gasp a heart- beat before screams exploded all around us; more Shriekers. The creature  threw  itself  into air, but I was quicker. Without slowing down, I side-stepped and swung the Machete into the its face. The blade cracked and tore through the upper section of its skull, unleashing a foul, sticky black liquid. I paused long enough to take another swing at the fucker, then I was off again.

More Shriekers tore through the trees. Their screams were everywhere, and they were coming at us -- fast. I watched Chika fling herself  into the frontseat of the bus; thank God it was open! I could hear the monsters bearing down on me. There at least two dozen, there was no way I could hack them all. I was  four or seconds behind her,when the unthinkable happened; Chika closed the door.


Fuck! I was going too fast. I crashed into the side of the car. My arm hurt like a bitch.

"Chika,WHAT THE FUCK??"

"--I'm sorry, ---- I'm---- it's -- jammed !" I could barely hear her over the wild shrieks. I knew arguing with her was a waste of time.


The Shriekers were almost here. With one last look at Chika's frightened face, I turned around. Screw the bus! The thought was barely registered when the first Shrieker came at me. I ducked, the creature's body crashed into the car, shattering the glass on the driver's side.


Chika screamed. I kicked the  Shrieker away from the window and hacked off the side of it's face. I avoided the dark fluid as best I could (all it took was a single drop on the skin then -- BAM! You're a Shrieker).

I spun around sank the machete into a bulky Shrieker's head. Fuck! The machete was stuck.


Chika was still screaming. I let go of the handle and shoved two Shriekers as hard as I could.

I was in trouble.

There were too many of them, and I was unarmed. It was only a matter of time before ---- . Then I saw Joshua, Priye and the other kid (I honestly never got his name) charging towards me armed with pipes and Sticks. They were screaming at the top of their lungs.

"THIS IS FOR KINGSLEY!" Joshua yelled.

Most of the creatures forgot about me and went after them. I swiftly detached the Matchete and cut down the remaining two Shriekers by the car door.

"Get Chika outta here!" Joshua screamed. The Shriekers were all around them. The three were kicking and swinging as hard as they could.

"Go!"

 Chika was still screaming. I turned around and kicked the side of the door.

Nothing.

Chika was hysterical.

I stole a glance over my shoulder, I couldn't see Joshua, but I could hear him:
"C'mon you fuckers!"

More Shriekers screaming.

"This is for Kingsley ---- you shitheads!"

More Screams.

"Aaaah!"
I drove my foot into the door again then pulled at the handle.

It opened.

Chika was still screaming.

"Die you ---- fuckers!" Came Joshua's voice.


But he sounded hurt.

I jumped into the bus and hit Chika so hard, she passed out; her screams were annoying.


Besides, two Shriekers were already staring in our direction again.

Thankfully, the keys were in the ignition. Bless you, Kingsley.

Before I turned the key, I had a creepy feeling: I couldn't hear Joshua anymore.

The engine roared to life and I sped out of there as fast as I could. I stole one last look in the rear-view. There was no sign of Joshua, Priye or anyone alive --- just Shriekers. Those guys saved our lives. I thought. My eyes went to Chika's sleeping form. For the sake of the ones we've lost, we have to go on --- somehow.


LIFE A CHOICE MY FRIEND
SO CHOOSE WISELY.
ENOUGH SAID.









15 comments:

  1. Hi opus, it's been a while you posted anything, hope you're ok, and you're not angry with us your readers. Please continue to post more. I miss you here. Another interesting piece.keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said that the weakling Joshua, Priye and co ransomed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally, something to read. This is a series I look forward to following.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that this not a weekly post now oooooo!
    But wait oo. where is anty Pam?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that this not a weekly post now oooooo!
    But wait oo. where is anty Pam?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I check your blog regularly like an obsessed stalker..please keep putting up interesting stories,thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol @weekly post bc this one took like forever b4 it came. Finally, Opus n wife hope u guys are ok?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...scary.
    Opus, hope all is well? It's been a while u posted anything here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool for a very cold evening today in benin city

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just checked after a long wait!.. Opus, how una dey? Since the economic change, you changed too...hmmmm, I hope allbis well though?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome......
Spammers on the other hand, would be shot, run over with my car, thrown off a cliff,
hung by their toe nails, and made to watch me do the MAKARINA....... in slow motion.
I'm just saying


would you like to advertise your goods and services on this blog? simply send a mail to opustjk@gmail.com



CONNECT WITH US
Join our bbm channel C004A948B
Facebook page www.facebook.com/opustjkwrites
twitter/instagram @opustjkwrites


For erotica, visit www.sexandcrazy.blogspot.com.ng

Sister Priye 2

"So...uh." I began. His good looks were over powering. "Mr...um..." "Black." He replied. "Richard Bla...